Friday

Adventures with International Cuisine

About a month ago, my Mom bought a couple of packages of besan at one of her local buy-things-for-cheap stores. She didn't know what it was (and neither did the store owner), but she figured for the price 4/$1, she wouldn't be losing much if it ended up being something she didn't like.



When she got home, she googled 'besan' and found this website that features a darling lady giving a tutorial on how to make besan puda. Check it out, she's great & the recipe is super easy.



Baby J & I are here at Mom's house this week (since my early morning scripture class is on spring break & Mr. H requested some quiet time this week to study for his Master's program COMPS testing...which he passed this morning!!!) & we were ready for an international food adventure.



Yesterday, I was put in charge of making besan puda. I watched Manjula's online tutorial (from the above link) & I was ready to go!

I mixed together the besan, rice flour (made with rice ground in a small coffee grinder--the genious goes to Mom for that idea!), water, and cumin. Then I shredded the zuchinni and added the salt.

Here is my puda patty on the skillet:



While I was making besan puda, Mom was busy making a variation of this red lentil soup, split pea soup, and tabouli (which has more than 3 spellings, by the way) for our fabulously delicious lunch. Here's the tabouli salad (she used boiled wheat instead of bulgar) :

A friend was invited, the table was set, and we experienced an afternoon FAR AWAY from our actual location in Middle Tennessee... & Baby J had his first serving of split peas: YUM!




It was delicious!
Thanks, Mom for the awesome meal...and thanks, Manjula for introducing me to besan puda. I can't wait to make it again!


3 comments:

jennie b said...

How fun! And now, if anyone should ever ask, you can tell them what you think of besan!

Jason makes a mean badam burfi (an Indian almond sweet). He's still perfectly the technique (but it is fun to eat his mistakes!).

It's Me - Jen E! said...

Ok.....so now I have to find besan.....because that looks yummy!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Looks so good! Just saw your blog about sleep--you are sweet. I loved that Stephanie said it takes her at least ten minutes. Wow! That is super fast. If I'm under an hour the world will hear and rejoice the next morning. (enough about pitying me and my inability to sleep...Joy and I were just talking about it last night. Does your heart race everytime baby J wakes up? Like really race? Anxiety, heart pounding, startling..? It happened to me every single time Lucy ever woke up. It does a number on your nerves. What is wrong with me??)

Ok--well, i thought i was going into labor this morning but the contractions stopped.

maybe some of this spicey international food would do the trick.