Monday

#worlddoulaweek

Did you know
 this week is 
WORLD DOULA WEEK?

Now you know.



From World Doula Week:

The purpose of World Doula Week ("WDW") is to empower doulas all over the world to improve the physiological, social, emotional, and psychological health of women, newborns and families in birth and in the postpartum period. The World Doula Week events will take place all over the world during the same week, stating the benefits of the presence of doulas in birth and in the postpartum period:

* Reduces the incidence of c-sections      
* May shorten the length of labor      
* Reduces epidural and analgesic requests      
* Increases breastfeeding initiation and continuation     
* Increases mother’s satisfaction of birth experience      
* Can reduce the incidence of postpartum mood disorders     
* Increases new parents’ confidence in the care of their newborn



Mr. H & I have interviewed, hired, and welcomed doulas to all 3 of our births so far, and we have a fabulous friend and doula Justine (with Midwest Doulas)  who will meet up with us for the birth of our 4th! We have benefited from the wisdom, experience, education, calm, and empowering encouragement of doulas and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As a labor doula myself, I am always in awe of the perfectly primal and sweetly spiritual experience of attending and supporting a woman and her partner in their birth experience. Over the last year, I've had the opportunity to attend beautiful, inspiring births-- medicated, unmedicated, c-section, natural, long, and short. 

A woman's body is amazing and the creation of a new mother every time is a time-stopping event. 






My children are asking lots of questions about babies and birth lately (naturally, as their mother's belly balloons and birth is only weeks away!). 


#4thbump 34.5 weeks! (disregard the dirty mirror...)


Yesterday my 6 year old asked if it would hurt me when the baby "comes out". I said that it would feel very intense and even hurt at various moments in the process, but that God made women's bodies so very special & specific to do this great work and that it is a beautiful, amazing experience. I assured him I would be fine and I am so excited for the gift of being able to birth.


Let's honor the divinity of birth.

Happy #worlddoulaweek!

Hug a doula today ;)

No comments: