Thursday

Thankful Thursday: Jan 22nd

Today I am thankful to Be An American.

I believe that--in general--we as Americans take for granted so many parts of our American-ness that make America and more specifically, the United States of America, so wonderful


I am thankful for this land that grows all assortments of fruits, vegetables, legumes, berries, wheats, and other needful resources. There are many countries who do not have such a variety of soil structures, climates, and natural resources to produce so many types of foods and necessary products--just from the land itself. I am thankful for the beauty all around us--sea shores, mountains, hills, valleys, islands, peninsulas, coasts, inlands, forrests, deserts, rivers, lakes, and all the details in between.

I am thankful for the many cultures that are woven into the fabric of what America has become and is becoming. I am grateful for the safe voyages of my ancestors who came from the far-away 'Motherland'. I am thankful for the religions, traditions, stories, songs, tales, histories, memories, cuisines, talents, skills, and convictions that our Fathers brought with them. These personal traits and believes are the tools that were collected and used to create a nation of strength and substance.


I am grateful for the sacrifices so many of our forebearers have made so that we can live in this 'home of the free'. I am thankful for the men who fought wars, battles, and fights--for freedom, for rights, and for their families. I am thankful for the soldiers of yesterday, and I am thankful for the soldiers today. I am thankful for the endless sacrifices made by mothers, sisters, wives, and children as they sent their husbands, fathers, and brothers off to protect the freedoms we each hold dear.

I am thankful for the opportunities I have had to visit and spend time in other countries--to appreciate the differences, beauties, and uniqueness...and then return even more grateful for *home*. Even in challenging times, we are so blessed in this country of freedom and opportunity.

I am thankful for the peaceful transfer of leadership that the world witnessed on Tuesday. I am thankful for the tradition of respect and hope that an inauguration day can surely bring. I am thankful for our United States of America.


What thankful thoughts have you had this week?

1 comment:

Linda said...

the kindness of strangers
the ability to contact my congressmen by email...
the strength of the human spirit in the face of crisis ( I attended to a family whose house burned down...)
the fact that there is far less traffic and parking problems at MTSU than I was led to believe.
thankful we still have a job and my children who can be , are also employed...
thankful for the fun and wisdom of food storage