Tuesday

Did I spend enough time outside this summer?

Outside
Sitting
On my covered patio.

Laptop
Resting
In the folding chair.

Trees
Blowing
In the September breeze.

Birds
Dancing
Perfect choreography

Leaves,
Falling
One by one...by one

Clouds,
Hovering
Making familiar shapes

Flowers,
Whispering
Secrets as they wink at me.

Summer
Wrapped
In a box to pack away

Fall
Arriving
Minute by minute...by minute

Winter
Waiting
Around the corner

Toddler
Snoring
In the quiet room

Husband
Whistling
In his little car

Yesterday
Calling
To ask me if I remember

Today
Insisting
I breathe it all in

Tomorrow
Asking
Are you smiling?


~sjh.09.15.09

5 comments:

It's Me - Jen E! said...

beautiful!

JosephJ said...

I sure hope you got your summer's worth, because the trees around here look like they've bottled up a whole lot of color and are about ready to burst into bloom. A few couldn't "hold it in" and have leaked some red and yellow tips. You'd better get here quick if you want to see Boston in the fall!

Linda said...

I definitely did not spend much time outside this summer OTHER than on trips. But then again, I barely know where it went. And with all this RAIN, I am not at all sure about September either. I THINK THE SUN IS TRYING TO COME OUT, which is strange. very strange.

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you get published, I'll buy at LEAST one!!!

LMS said...

what a beautiful poem. it's like a long haiku. print it!