Friday

Thankful Thursday {Friday morning} September 21, 2018

Tomorrow is Saturday the 22nd--
fall equinox

(I had to say that a second time in my head because 
I'm clearly having a hard time realizing that this is for reals--)

FALL! 

So technically today is the last day of summer.
Which technically makes a lot of sense for me because we haven't yet done our "first day fall term" traditions around here (Academy Harper), I haven't done any fall decorating or major planning (I did finally update my google calendar yesterday with all the dance classes, Odyssey of the Mind meetings, updated cub scout dates, and soccer games--but what will we be for Halloween, people!?), and I've been holding onto our unhurried summer of abundance like nothing else matters.

I mean...on my list of To Do's today (besides thank you's from Nathan's baptism almost 3 weeks ago...yes, I'm behind!) is to finish up our massive chalkboard wall of summer abundance, document it, and clear it out, in preparation for the adventures and joys of fall.

But I'magonna start this season off right--I'm circling back to something that I started one fall Thursday ten years ago (!), when I was a newly minted mother, and which became a restful routine for my mind and heart--Thankful Thursday.

I just checked, and my last Thankful Thursday post was a shocking 19 months ago (!). But I am making an effort to change my perspective on a few things. One of those perspective shifts is to do the thing I actually want to do, no matter how "behind" or "too late" or whatever other defeatest mentality is clouded over that desire or interest. IT IS JUST SILLY. And there is nothing better than a good old Thankful Thursday to prove it!

I'm Thankful For:

-the way the light through the trees dances shadows along my bedroom floor in the morning
-sharpened pencils
-Mr. H's little forehead kisses when he leaves in the morning
-the kids morning selves wandering into my room, one by one, to report their dream or tell me what they are reading or just snuggle in the recliner or next to me in my bed
-my morning self who doesn't love mornings but loves being with my morning children
-twinkle lights in the Nook room above a black wall FULL TO THE BRIM of experiences, adventures, trips, outings, moments, and heart-filled memories from our unhurried summer of abundance
-the changing of seasons
-the changing of me
-my imperfect but capable body
-the chance to gather with likeminded women of faith last night in a friends home--for a first gathering of schole and mother mentor discussion
-good, uplifting, inspiring books
-my children's artwork scattered here and there
-my mother's paintings in my house
-Mr. N's apology this morning for a glass hive that he accidentally broke yesterday
-my morning pleadings in the Spirit to have the calm to handle the little bits of chaos that undoubtedly would occur
-answers to that prayer when I had clear help from God --it was His spirit that helped me not show anger or big feelings when he told me how he broke it, but I was able to stay calm, give him a hug (surely he was scared to tell me) and thank him for the ways he was fixing his mistake (he cleaned it up himself, cut his finger, bandaided himself, and came to me to apologize)
-borrowed "boo boo oil" from my friend J that seems to really be awesome for my healing burned face
-a ride from my friend N and awesome conversations about mothering, learning, teaching, and birthing
-that the mechanic shop is not far away, is someone we trust, and hopefully we can get a report that will help us make the right next choice (pay for a fix or buy a new van)
-my joy in drawing
-real power in personal prayer patterns
-Miss N feeling confident in her new dance class
-Mr N making scrambled eggs for breakast (currently)
-Mr J zooming through awesome books and finding joy and satisfaction in reading (and doing his book report pages without complaint!)
-Miss A waking up happy and chipper EVERY SINGLE DAY (currently sitting beside me in my bed and drawing in her notebook)
-Mr B being adorably himself, and his sweet arms always outreached to his Mama
-Mr. H loving and supporting me, even when I'm a crazy person
-texts from friends
-maps
-fluffy pillows
-Edna Wordweaver (I'm the kind of person that sometimes names things. This is my 1950's typewriter)
-my Dad's "You are are such a good Mom" whisperings of approval and cheering that honestly fortify my heart to do even better
-my Mom's listening ear and sound advice for the littlest and biggest things in my life, and the ways she adds color and light to make things beautiful
-women. good, kind, giving, generous, cheer-you-on kind of women that every single person needs in their lives
-soft reminders of who I am and the little things I need to get me to where I am going
-dreams that leave me pondering and feeling distinct impressions for change
-the color yellow
-the 5 painted bees on my wall (thank you, artist Mama)
-my kids saying "I'm sorry your face hurts, Mom"
-a clean space
-a walk in the rain with my bees yesterday (and! there's no such thing as bad weather*!)
-the rise-up kind of rest* that comes from expressing gratitude
-God's patience with me as I stretch and learn and reach and fall and try and stumble and discover and learn



And endlessly more. 
am
Thankful

My 5 bees! Paintings by my Mama
J-orange, N-blue, Miss N-pink, Miss A-purple, Mr B-in the middle






* Books I'm learning SO much from right now: "There's No Such Thing As Bad Weather" by Linda Akeson McGurk (Swedish understanding of the childhood need to jump, climb, play and experience the outdoors, no matter the weather), "Teaching From Rest" by Sarah Mackenzie (homeschool--digging in, connecting with God, building our purpose with rest not anxiety), and "Read Aloud Family" by Sarah Mackenzie (purposeful parenting, power of reading culture in our home)

No comments: