Monday

Monday Morning Quote: The Spirit of Christmas









"The spirit of Christmas is Christlike love. 
The way to increase the Christmas spirit 
is to reach out generously 
to those around us and give of ourselves. 


The best gifts are not material things
 but gifts of listening, 
of showing kindness, 
of remembering, of visiting, 
of forgiving, of giving time."

~Bonnie L. Oscarson





I have to tell you, I absolutely adore the glitter and sparkle and twinkle and jingle of Christmas time! I start listening to Christmas music around mid-November and don't stop until my family decides they're officially done (I usually extend the holiday until the New Year, you?). 


I am as drawn to the white lights and the candle-lit tables as I am delighted by the green wreaths and the hanging mistletoe (c'mon, who doesn't need extra kisses from the person they love most?). I love the way our home feels with the music, the light glows, the sparkling decor, and the busy baking kitchen (tonight we made a batch of sugar cookies and bread to give away tomorrow!). I close my eyes and I can SEE Christmas. I cherish the traditions and family time and merry making. And it is Christmas. 


It is here. It is in the way we make the days different, and it is in the way we make OURSELVES different--by focusing on our Savior Jesus Christ. And in the end-- as we focus on Him, we look outward and find ways to give His love to those in our circles of influence.



Our family has had amazing experiences this month with our church's #LightTheWorld celebration--not that we've done really huge things (and we've even missed a day or two!), in fact, they have mostly been small and simple--but there is something beautiful that happens when you are daily looking to do something nice for somebody else.

And now (somehow) we have one more week! 


My bigs wake up and rush down the stairs to  find the "Shelf Elf" who has a note. His note has a clue to find "the kindness elves" somewhere in our home. The Kindness elves also have a  note--this time giving encouragement and an idea for an act of kindness to do that day, either inside our home/family or out among our friends/community. 

Every morning they follow the clues, find the notes and rush up to me (usually in bed feeding the babe) to tell me what we should do that day! It has been magical for them and for me, and we are learning how to make a daily focus in giving.

Now...if only I can add a few more hours to the day to organize my closets  (ahem...find all the presents I've hidden--tell me I'm not the only one) and get everything wrapped before the weekend...



Merry Monday-before-Christmas!



xoxo
Shara

No comments: