Tuesday

Toddler Tales: "Color!"

Earlier today I was rushing around our kitchen-- mixing frostings of bright pinks, greens, yellows, blues, and lavenders (I've got a cake decorating class tonight). J was rushing around as well--stacking various storage boxes he discovered in the closet.

We rushed around together, the two of us in the kitchen. He spread his yellow blanket out on the floor and I scooped the yellow frosting into an air tight container. At times he would pause to request that I wipe his nose but then he'd be back in business.

Standing at the sink, I was cleaning up my mess and my attention was drawn to J's repeating "color! color! color!". At first I thought he wanted to color with crayons (inspired, perhaps, by the bright sugary hues I was working with?) , but then realized he was pointing out something which had already been written or colored.

I tried to figure out where he was pointing...

Was it the cabinet?

No.

Was it the handle?

No.

He crouched toward me to emphasize the exact location of the coloring job, placing his chubby little pointer finger right on the spot.

ON THE BACK OF MY LEG, right behind my knee.

I was so confused.

He looked up at me with curious eyes, "color? color?"--finger still on my skin--

I twisted my leg around to see what his finger had found...

Sure enough, there they were:

Blue squiggly lines on the back of my leg, behind my knee!

*gasp*

I couldn't believe it. At some point, someone had indeed colored blue lines on my skin, I didn't even KNOW about it!

J kept looking up at me for approval: "color? color?"

"Yes, honey. You're exactly right--that looks just like a blue color mark. Good job!"

He was satisfied and toddled off...leaving me standing, stunned.

I suppose I could blame the colorful lines on my current pregnancy, my age, or genetics. Perhaps they are a result of all three--but I'm going to stick with J's color theory.

Clearly, those blue lines came out of a box of Crayola.

Wonder if they were made with the washable kind?





I am adding a new posting segment to this blog: Toddler Tales, wherein I share with you--in short essay form--moments that I experience with my toddler J.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

best post ever! how cute of J. unfortuantely, i've been colored on, too :(

Leesa said...

Love the new theme added to this blog!

Linda said...

This will be fun! I hope you don't have too much of that genetic color marking going on...it probably is jut pregnancy and tile floors. Wait...you have linoleum?! J is very observant!

Shannon said...

'...chubby little pointer finger...'

That was my favorite part, it made me smile. :)

jennie b said...

Oh, how funny! I can't wait for more Toddler Tales. :)

It's Me - Jen E! said...

I love Toddler Tales! There are so many funny things they say and I try to remember them but it doesn't always work. Guess I need to document them.

Emily said...

Yay for Toddler Tales! Not yay for the blue squiggles. :(